Examine the numbers for yourself at the Center for Disease Control’s website. The WISQARS (Web-based Injury Statistics Query and Reporting System) is an easy-to-use, interactive database system that provides customized reports of injury-related data. You can research data by year(s), manner of injury, cause of injury, state or region, race, sex, and age.
The database provides the following information:
|Year||Gun deaths||Non-fatal gunshot injuries|
These numbers show that gun violence is an enormous public health problem in this country.
Data from the Oregon Department of Human Services (DHS) show that gun violence is also a serious problem in Oregon.
|Year||Oregonian gun deaths|
|2000||378 (80% were suicides)|
|2001||360 (80% were suicides)|
|2002||376 (77% were suicides)|
|2003||393 (84% were suicides)|
|2004||383 (78% were suicides)|
|2005||402 (79% were suicides)|
|2006||384 (80% were suicides)|
|2007||387 (84% were suicides)|
|2008||385 (83% were suicides)|
|2009||417 (83% were suicides)|
|2010||458 (82% were suicides)|
|2011||420 (82% were suicides)|
|2012||443 (83% were suicides)|
|2013||462 (84% were suicides)|
|2014||497 (85% were suicides)|
The 2000 to 2004 data are set forth in the Oregon Vital Statistics Annual Report for the year specified, in volume 2, section 6, table 6-30 (in the 2000 report, table 6-29). Click here to view the reports. The 2005 to 2014 data are from Center for Disease Control: Injury and Prevention Control: Data and Statistics (WISQARS) for Oregon.
Oregon State Links
- Oregon Department of Human Services/Injury and Violence Prevention Program
- Oregon Safe Kids Coalition
- Multnomah County Domestic Violence Coordinator
- Ribbon of Promise
- The National Shooting Sports Foundation can provide your family a free Project ChildSafe safety kit which includes a cable-style gun lock and instructions.
- ASK (Asking Saves Kids)
- Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence
- Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence
- Common Sense about Kids & Guns
- Legal Community Against Violence
- Million Mom March
- Physicians for Social Responsibility
- Speak Up
- States United to Prevent Gun Violence
- Stop the NRA
- Student Pledge Against Gun Violence
- Violence Policy Center
- Washington Ceasefire
Gun Lobby Organizations
Note: Links to these sites are provided as an educational service by Ceasefire Oregon and the Ceasefire Oregon Education Foundation, but are neither part of nor endorsed by Ceasefire Oregon or the Ceasefire Oregon Education Foundation. Ceasefire Oregon and the Ceasefire Oregon Education Foundation have no control over the content or availability of these sites.