Since 1994, the Ceasefire Oregon Education Foundation has sponsored gun turn-ins where people can get rid of unwanted guns with no questions asked.
Reasons to turn in a firearm
- Young, lively, curious children are at your home. Removing the gun removes the risk of unintentional shooting.
- A family member, friend or neighbor is suffering from depression. Limiting access to guns reduces the risk of suicide.
- The firearm cannot be properly stored.
- The gun was left by an earlier occupant of the house.
- You can’t guarantee that someone else won’t get the gun.
- You want to do something to reduce the number of gun accidents, suicides, and homicides.
- You understand that a gun in the home is much more likely to kill or injure a family member or friend than it is to protect you.
- You would rather have a gift certificate than the gun.
Saturday, January 17, 2015, and February 6, 2016
10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Newport City Hall
169 SW Coast Hwy, Police Department Entrance
The gun turn-ins took place at Newport City Hall. Fred Meyer gift cards were available for working order guns. All weapons collected were removed from circulation and melted down. The Newport Police Department donated unique or antique weapons to an appropriate historical museum.
|2016||54 (includes 2 assault rifles & 2 stolen guns)|